My Run-In With The Law

6/15/2015


Today I got pulled over, for the first time in my 25 years of life. My imagination ran wild as I saw myself sparking a police chase and escaping the red and blue lights that were flashing in my rearview mirror. Instead, I pulled over. 

The officer came to my window, asked for my information and told me I ran a red light - a red light that I could've sworn was yellow, but may not have been. Whoops! 

I didn't mention where I work, as my place of employment shouldn't be associated with my personal faults. I didn't plan to mention that I work directly with their boss because it had nothing to do with my offense. I was ready and willing to take responsibility for my action - and I was prepared to be upset by the unreasonably priced ticket I was to receive. 

After about 15 minutes of processing, a few stares by nosey on-lookers and a couple snapped pictures, he returned to my car. He told me that his training officer informed him of who I work for and it seemed to humble him; as though he thought I'd run to work tomorrow to complain about him to our boss. He gave me a warning, highlighting the loyalty he has to those who serve the same boss he does. I was pleasantly surprised and very appreciative. I thanked the officer and told him "goodluck" as he sought to complete the rest of his field training assignment. 

I pulled off and headed home - where I was already late for making it in time for my 7:00 judge show. I love judge shows! As I mosey'd two miles down the road and came to a stop at the 'left turn only' light, I was met by a white vehicle with 2 passengers. They prompted me to roll down my window so they could talk to me. As I complied, out of their mouths poured words of support and confirmation. 

"That was your car back there right? I saw the whole thing! You didn't run that light. It was still yellow! Did he give you a ticket, because I'm going to court with you to fight it!" 

I informed the women that I was alright and I only got a warning. They, as equally pleased as I, let out a sigh of relief and confirmed that they really would have gone to court with me. They let me know that they waited the full 15-minutes it took the officer to process my information. They followed me down the street and waited to talk to me to let me know they had my back. 

I was even more pleased at this encounter than I was at the officer's loyalty to my employment. And, aside from me sharing my story to you all (which may have been pretty pointless by itself), is the reason for this post. There are still some good people out here. There are still people who care about your well-being, even if they don't know you. People who are dedicated to fighting wrongdoings, even without you having to say something. People willing to support you and back you up, as much of a stranger as you are to them. 

These women - and admittedly, the cop's - behavior this evening, let me know that not everyone is selfish, mean and hateful. Not everyone is just nosey or out to get you. Some people's morals and values are applied to those they love and those they don't know. Some people are still kind to strangers and are willing to help those they feel are in need. 


Although unfortunate that it took me being pulled over to be reminded of that, it's a very refreshing feeling. Those women followed me until they had a chance to catch up with me, to let me know they seen the entire incident. What I would have considered women being nosey, staring at my ordeal, were women who wanted to help. Witnesses who wanted right to be done, in a world full of wrong accusations and even wronger - because that's the adjective I choose to use - interactions.  

I'm grateful for those looking after me, even without me realizing. And thank you to the women who were willing to fight on my behalf. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments